Friday, April 29, 2005

Gateway

So I have been listening to Homecoming and In the Moment by Gateway, which is basically a jazz trio of John Abercrombie on guitar, Jack DeJohnette on drums and piano, and bassist Dave Holland.

I have to say, while this falls very clearly into material made for the ECM label, it has a nice grit to it. Abercrombie has some corrosive qualities in his tone, although nowhere near the dissonant bliss of a Sony Sharrock. I had never really taken notice of him until now, and I am glad I got around to doing so. DeJohnette plays in his usual way -- tastefully and with a certain quirky charm. Holland, a man far too underrated as both player and composer (when I caught him last year with Wayne Shorter and Herbie Hancock, he held his own damn well), and he shines here. An understated grace to his warm, rich tone.

Good stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home