Sunday, July 24, 2005

Autolux on tour with NIN

So I had heard that Autolux was going to open for NIN on their recent tour and I was quite surprised. Autolux has a noisy but otherwise far less abrasive tenor than herr Reznor, but I could certainly see that working, particularly if NIN keeps it close to the With Teeth vibe onstage.

I actually first started picking up on Autolux from the many headed Hydra known as Prince offshoots. I became via Prince and the Revolution, fans of his former bandmates Wendy Melvoin (guitar) and Lisa Coleman (Keyboards) who later operated as a duet named --originally enough-- Wendy & Lisa. Their studio and touring drummer for their first 3 albums was Carla Azar, who is the backbone of Autolux.

The sound it noticably different (there is some influences from W&L days intact, including tight grooves and a certain earthiness, but there is also an admixture of bits from Sonic Youth and Billy Corgan style guitar skronk to some habits culled from obvious years of listening to the Pixies and at high volume. What I found most odd is that T Bone Burnett produced it, and I always associated him with folkier pursuits (he's worked with Bob Dylan, Emmylou Harris, Counting Crows and most recently produced the O Brother, Where Art Thou? soundtrack). But hey, I've seen weirder pairings, and in this case it works anyway.

Shortly before the album was released, I scored a promo copy of their debut album, Future Perfect --still shrinkwrapped-- in a local second-hand shop (contrary to the view that they are a graveyard for dozens of bad albums by Perry Como and 101 Strings with Arthur Fielding releases, such places are veritable goldmines of esoteric goodies, and occasionally brand new promos, as this is not the first time I have found such a prize. Make sure to check the vinyl section, as I have found great condition albums by Funkadelic and Pink Floyd that way).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home