Sunday, October 02, 2005

United Future Organization - 3rd Perspective

United Future Organization
3rd Perspective
1996 Mercury/Antilles/Verve

Produced by UFO

I had picked up 3rd Perspective in another cut-out bin foraging expedition many years ago (it was a booklet-less promo copy for $2.99) and considered it a genuine find at the moment, because I had so thoroughly enjoyed their two previous releases which I had payed top dollar for. Needless to say I never at the time really got into it, as it lacked the sprawling fun and globetrotting decadence of its predecessors.

I don't think I had listened to it for 5-6 years, and picked it up tonight on a lark. I am somewhat glad I did. It bore a re-listen. It still has the shortcoming of being a little too fixated on the spy-movie sountrack vibe (although it works deliciously on a few cuts, most notably The Planet Plan and Nica's Dream), and the odd fixation on what I can only describe as very period French sounding in a way that makes you think more of berets and baguettes in 60s Paris instead of the seedy grooves and cross-pollinated funk of their No Sound is Too Taboo album. There are a few spots that link back to that --in my view-- core UFO approach: Cosmic Gypsy has the piano vamp and horn figures with Latin American vibe cutting through that makes it prime Gilles Peterson remix material, and His Name Is... marries Massive Attack style trip hop and dub with sleek flourishes of flute, dark piano phrases, and fleeting references to Kung-Fu adventure.

Maybe that is a good way to look at it; as a mix of Massive Attack and the James Bondian side of Propellerheads. I do not know if I would recommend it outside of hard core acid-jazzers, but it has some good chill cuts for the house martini party. I do think thier first 2 albums and most of their remixes for others are key though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home