Monday, February 13, 2006

Here in my car...

...I am not listening to Gary Numan.

I have been listening to a triad of tapes (remember, I still have not bothered to fix the cd player), and I am enjoying how well they hold up:

Living Colour - Time's Up. I am still amazed at the sheer breadth and forward thinking of this album. It, with few exceptions, is sublime and has dated well. Thrash, delta blues, South African township jive, art-rock, spastic jazz metal and guest spots from guys like Maceo and Queen Latifah (back when she could actually craft a rhyme) make this one greatly underrated album.

Seal - Seal (debut). I remember picking this up at the Warehouse near Valley Fair mall the month it came out in the US. It had such a stellar line up; Trevor Rabin, Trevor Horn, Doug Wimbish, with Wendy & Lisa as musical directors and Horn producing, it is still his strongest effort and still is fully listenable from start to finish. Violet is total ear candy.

The Innocence Mission - The Innocence Mission. I did not realize for years that this band was essentially a CCM band, although tracks like Medjugorje should have been a hint. That being said, IM succeed because they do not conform to CCM (lack of) musical sensibilities. This is sweetly simple folk pop devoid of the kind of pretentious twaddle popular with folks like Natalie Merchant, Jewel and the like. This was produced by Larry Klein, and his ethereal, rural sound is evident.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home