Monday, August 21, 2006

TF's Buyers Guide Recommendations

...is not this.

While I like the idea of a standalone unit that does a closed-loop conversion of tapes and vinyl to cd, the design of the TEAC GF-350. While not connecting to a computer is a minor irritant (what if I want to fit several albums onto one disc?) the idea that I need special watermarked cd's that cost more and are difficult to find, and a price tag I find less than commensurate with what is offered (400 USD), and the showstopper is that it builds DRM into the cd's it creates.

That is flat out garbage, as after the Sony debacle and the general idiocy that such useless tripe can wreak on a machine (although I only know second hand, as I play my cd's mostly in a cd-stereo or on a linux box, as that is where my jukebox for the house is), I am not inclined to give that much control to an exogenous party for my money.

To add injury to insult, the sound quality transfer is apparently less than stellar.

No thanks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home