Monday, September 25, 2006

Strange and Ironic

So in one of those strange moments, I found myself finding myself.

I was at Kucharo's studio today working on drum tracks with him on Warr guitar, and during a break I suggested he try listening to some Moloko. So he fires up iTunes and when he does a search it also brings up a DJ set release calld Afro Disco 2 by one David Roman. It sports a rather unique cover, namely:

Adblock

vinyl remixXXV by ^zeruch on deviantART

Of course, I mention this, because the image is mine. I [re]created it and posted it in October of 2002, where it has been ever since. Imagine my surprise, seeing as I was never asked for permission to reprint or distribute. The irony was not only finding it while randomly jamming to music, but that the image itself is a remix of sorts; it is part of a series called the Vinyl Remix, which is whereI take 12" vinyl record sleeves and use them as the foundational canvas for me painting over them.

In that case it was the album cover of the band The Teardrop Explodes (most notable for having had postmodern rock posterchild Julian Cope in it). Oddly enough, their style of cranky, psychedelic, and very arty-pop bears no resemblance to the broken-beat/nu-jazz excursions of Mr. Roman.

I have sent an email looking for some clarification, as this very well could be that he had nothing to do with it, and he could have had some guy do the cover for him, not telling him of where the source image was derived.

The funny thing is, I am known for my bias towards musicians, and have often allowed use of my work or done work for musicians for much less than I would for other clients -- sometimes for as little as a copy of whateve product the work(s) will appear on and proper accreditation on said product(s), or if they are local, guest list status for a gig or two.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home