Saturday, May 07, 2005

Mutant Audio Friday

So, yesterday was get-the-kit-set-up-at-Greg's-studio day. All went largely well. I got everything to work except for the Roland hi-hat pedal, which I am sure can be fixed somehow, and is most likely a by-product of my rudimentary skills with midi drum kits. I ahven't even programmed drums since the early 90s using mostly a Yamaha DX-11 and Opcode on a decrepit Macintosh.

Playing on an electronic kit is an altogether alien experience, as I had never spent more than a few minutes on one, and only just to fiddle with at the music store. The Pintech drums themselves have a decent enough rebound/feel, but are still different enough to make getting used to a less than instant process. The pedals were responsive and about the only stickler is the hi-hat, which is a cylinder shaped pad and one that does not lend itself to the way I like to play a hi-hat (I have a habit of trying to be Stewart Copeland, so you can imagine where this may cause a littel consternation.) There may be a workaround with Greg bringing in a pair of Roland V-drumstyle pads in to utilize.

The Alesis DM5 brain is simple enough to use, easy to adjust, but I certainly was not able to grok all the possibilities with it in just one session. We'll see what happens when it gets run through the mixing board and Greg's collection of tawdry effects and samples. Greg has a knack for finding good sounds.

The bottom line is, it was fun to play again, and with people, even if it was a case of saved by technology

I think next month I'll have to set up the acoustic kit at the house for use as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home