Wednesday, August 31, 2005

New Releases and other bits

I happen to actually like the composition of the Star Spangled Banner, and prefer it performed instrumentally: This has to be one of the more inventive off the cuff renditions I have heard/seen. Good for you Bobby.

Also, for all of you M.I.A. fans, I think the next in line has arrived: Lady Sovereign.

And now for new releases:

1. 50 Cent re-releases The Massacre. Because now as a CD/DVD combo with bonus track you can see and hear why this man is worth less than his name.

2. The Metropole Orchestra of the Netherlands has worked with non-classical musicians before, most notably Mike Keneally (ex-Zappa) and Vernon Reid (Living COlour, Yohimbe Bros.) but now they are actually releasing an album with drumming colossus Terry Bozzio (ex-Zappa, Missing Persons, Polytown). Considering Bozzio's tendencies as a percussionist, this is a potentially stunning match up. The album is called Chamberworks.

3. There will be previously unreleased live albums from Soft Machine and Gong (I'd skip the latter and take the former, because Gong's vocal tracks are just awful).

4. There is supposed to be a Lindsey Buckingham DVD coming out, but I do not know if its archival or something more recent. He really needs to put out another solo album, as the last Fleetwood Mac LP was just not satiating.

5. Drums & Tuba release their next one on Ani DiFranco's Righteous Babe records. I managed to catch a small part of their set at the Squaw Valley Brews Jazz and Funk Festival without even knowing it fully (basically I watched them play and wondered if they were the same D&T whose debut I owned, since they sounded quite different, but still good). Battle Ole it is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home