Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Banks of Fish - Another Murder of a Video


And so today we have a rather obscure (even by my standard) video by one quiet member of a rather establishment rock group (one Tony Banks from Genesis) and one loud former member of a lesser known neo-prog rock group that started as largely emulating the former (one Fish, formerly of Marillion).

Tony Banks' solo output is often quite spotty and on his early 90s release Still, he mixed randomly very proggy bits with very poppy bits and ended up with not much of consequence all over. However, one can at least draw fleeting amusment from this video for Another Murder of a Day, which you can tell is destined for greatness when the first thing you see is a field with sheep. From there it just gets goober-tastic. Basically it involves Tony and Fish roaming about said field/orchard area on rickety bicycles, being oddly happy over a song that --like many Fish-penned lyrical jaunts-- is really not a happy one. Maybe its the sheep. Maybe it is the emaciated blonde in the lacey dress from an 80s cliche wardrobe (see below). Maybe its the bowler hats.


Maybe its being left in a tree in a poorly constructed comedic moment. Like many videos of its kind, it is funny when its trying to be serious, and boring when its trying to be funny.

Me, I just like knowing that when Fish ever complains about Marillion getting too pop after his departure, that I can hurl this albatross around his neck for sight and sound.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I have never seen this video ever!! I'm not quite sure whether you have made me want to see it out of comedic value, or whether I should avoid it forever, for fear of scar tissue.

2:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is NOT the video to Another Murder of a Day, it's the video to Shortcut to Somewhere which can be viewed here: http://homepage.mac.com/kittenmommy/iMovieTheater7.html

6:38 AM  
Blogger theloniusfunk said...

Well, I guess I'll have to correct myself then...for some reason I always remember Murder of a Day as the big Fish/Banks track (and I thought released as a single).

You would think since I have the albums and the video, I would have gotten it right.

3:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home