Friday, June 10, 2005

Feeling Frippish

So I recently fell upon an online "book" about musical visionary Robert Fripp, covering his earliest days until roughly 1990. It is a worthwhile read. My first exposure to Fripp -pun intended- was via early King Crimson, which I found ok at the time (I was 13-14 and it was the late 1980s), but would later be attracted to the early 1980s incarnation. It took a good decade before I fully *got* not only Krim, but got fully immersed into Fripp's catalogue (as well as Bruford). I became fond of his work with Brian Eno and Peter Gabriel, and eventually overcame my fickleness over early David Bowie and really enjoyed Heroes. Of note, Mr. Fripp is currently touring solo showcasing his ambient Frippertronic Soundscapesmaterial as the opening act for brooding art-rock act Porcupine Tree throughout the month of June.

On a completely different track I recently found a fellow DA user with a lo-fi sound coming from up north (Canada specifically). Check out Gil Spectrum.


I was thinking this might be useful for propagating some interesting music video sub-cultures. So many unsigned (and some signed even) have found the internet a useful vehicle for transmission of their sound, maybe this will facilitate making concert footage and their own homebrewed videos an easy process as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home