Monday, June 26, 2006

videos: Jody Watley

I admit I actually was a fan of Jody Watley, both in Shalamar and especially during her early solo releases. She was at the time a much more glamorous and self-assured performer than many of her contemporaries in the then prominent New Jack Swing period. I think she intentionally set herself apart, and it worked.

Adblock


This video is for Most of All, which while not her most edgy work, as videos go still stands up well. Which is not to say that all of them do, such as:

Adblock


...which looks and sounds very 1990 in a rather flat way.

From what I hear she has continued to sell well in foreign markets, and is slated to try again stateside with a soul version of Madonna's Borderline. While I certainly wish her luck, I do not see that working. She is not skanky enough to make it in todays substance bereft and style impaired R&B soundscape.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home